Google SAS Search

Add to Google

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

SHELLacked

A couple months ago the company I do a lot of work for got a nifty new Unix server to replace the old one. Woohoo! It's fast. Screamin' fast. Now we can be even more productive than ever!

Except it doesn't have bash. Ugh. Unix without bash is like chocolate syrup without the chocolate. I don't really know what that is, but it certainly isn't good.

Something strange happens to my fingers at the standard prompt. They forgt how to tpye. And my memory goes all funny and I can't remember the names of directories and files. It's nearly impossible for me to get anything done. And multiple requests to sysAdmins have gotten me nowhere.
Dear Sysadmin: My tyoing sux. Can you plez install bash?

Dear Sysadmin: This Korn is killing me. Bash please?

Dear Sysadmin: The tab key seems to have died. Could you find a way to make it Bourne Again?

1 comment:

  1. That might not work for you, but on our HP, using sh, you have to hit Esc twice to get the equivalent of a tab.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete